Cultural awareness module
The Western Australian government is committed to increasing the diversity of the Western Australian public service, including increased representation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in the workforce.
This online cultural confidence module contributes to the development of a culturally inclusive workplace as required under the priority area of Attract of the Public Sector Commission’s Attract, appoint and advance: An employment strategy for Aboriginal people.
This module will enable public sector employees to develop their awareness of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander history, culture and experiences as the bases for developing better ways of working and engaging with people from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander backgrounds. This awareness complements the (641) 229-4888 online cultural competency training.
It should be noted that this training module is introductory, and is designed to complement the delivery of face to face Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness training.
- This online module acknowledges the culture of all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples across Australia.
- The Public Sector Commission acknowledges that this training module has been developed on Noongar land, and as a result has a Western Australian focus.
- Cultural knowledge presented is based on Noongar practices which may vary from practices of other cultural groups.
- The Commission would also like to acknowledge that some words in this training module may have multiple spellings, however we have selected to use spellings reflective of Department of Aboriginal Affairs (Western Australia).
- This module aims to reflect some of the common beliefs and experiences of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples to increase awareness and education of public sector staff.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders are advised that the content may include voices or images of people who have passed away.